Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Please…Don’t be Stupid. Nutrition

…Sigh

Darwin said, “Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge”. When it comes to the field of health and fitness, this is definitely true.
Everyone’s an expert when it comes to nutrition: housewives, plumbers, electricians, and faux trainers…just ask them. Hell… you don’t even have to ask…they’ll tell you!

Imagine the job that you do right now.

Let’s say you’ve been a plumber for 10 years, or you’ve made huge sacrifices by attending college for 4-6 years. I would say in either case you would be considered an expert in your field.
How stupid would I have be to argue with a plumber or a college professor? Pretty stupid huh?

Well, welcome to the world of health and fitness.

“Mary lost weight doing low carbs”

“Sally did a detox diet and lost 10 pounds of undigested spackle” (What the hell is spackle?)

“Maybe my B-12 levels are low” (Maybe they are, but what does that have to do with 20-50 extra pounds?)

Now here’s my predicament…if someone states something about nutrition that is incorrect, should I say anything? Or do I just remain silent?

If I don’t say anything I’m allowing nutritional misinformation. If I do say something I’m a smart ass know-it-all. (Regardless of how respectful I say it)
So what is it about today’s society where someone’s opinion is as good as scientific facts? This is truly the conundrum that occurs when you have access to information, but not the ability to discern fantasy from reality.

What is the answer? Stop it!

(Please watch this Bob Newhart episode)
https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=bob+newhart+stop+it+youtube+video&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=58F6ADF318B346663DC458F6ADF318B346663DC4&v_t=webmail-searchbox

Ok…so if you’re reading this and you are bothered, great!  The fact that you’re sensitive should be a warning sign that this could be a trait you’re guilty of.

Hopefully you can lower your defensive position long enough to at least entertain the possibility that you may be wrong.

“Please don’t be stupid” is a series of my experiences trying rehabilitate misinformation spread by the health and fitness industry and stupid people.

Please respond…just please… don’t be stupid!

2 comments:

Kurt said...

You should definitely just start using the Bob Newhart method! Please let me be around when you did it though. Ha!

Kelly Hitchcock said...

Kurt...just Stop It!