Friday, June 9, 2017

Please…Don’t be Stupid. Frustrations!


“You can’t handle the Truth”-A Few Good Men

“I’m frustrated!”

Why are you frustrated?

“I can’t lose weight”

“I can’t build muscle”

“I can’t lose belly fat”

When I hear comments like these, I always ask, “what are you eating?” or “what type of exercise program do you do?”

Probably 90% to 95% of the time after hearing what they’re doing I end up thinking, “Why are you frustrated?”

There’s nothing that evokes frustrations more than unrealistic expectations.

When it comes to… “I can’t lose weight”

It’s simple…you’re intake is exceeding your caloric expenditure. (You’re consuming more than you’re burning)

And that’s the Truth.

“I can’t build muscle”

My first question is, “how many calories are you eating… and what is your macronutrient profile?”

Most people don’t know how many calories they’re eating, or what their diet is composed of.

And to make matters worse… they don’t care.

They just want change.

My second question is, “What type of workout program are you on?”                                        

If they say “orange theory”, “CrossFit”, or they run a lot; again, silently, I think, “Why do you think you would be building muscle?”

Building muscle with those programs is the equivalent of playing ping pong to become a better tennis player.

Training specificity is the most important component in the success of any program.

That is the Truth!

How about goals?

“Well… I’m not sure?”

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we mistake motion for action and become frustrated at the lack of results.

Keep in mind; if you are vague in your efforts your results will be vague.

Before you can reach any destination, you have to have a map. If the map is flawed, the trip will take longer than expected.

With no clear defined goal, there can be no clear defined results.

This is the Truth!

 “I can’t lose belly fat”

Please…don’t be stupid.

Truth!

From my personal perspective, today’s society doesn’t want the truth.  We want comfort and entertainment.

I think our main problem with the Truth is that it requires us to take responsibility. And along with responsibility comes accountability.

I believe that there is nothing more frightening to most people than the thought of responsibility and accountability.

Because then… we have to own it.

C.S. Lewis eloquently stated the dilemma that one incurs when seeking comfort over the Truth,

“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.”

The Truth is the answer.

The Truth is the way.

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." –John 8:32

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Agree on all, Kelly! Some take longer than others to reach awareness / and to ACT. Truths may be difficult to confront yet, truth AND commitment are the ways to living life, achieving deliberate goals we have set for ourselves!

Kelly Hitchcock said...

Kelly,

Thanks for your response.

Its very sad to me that we let so much time pass complaining about our condition... all the while supporting this condition with illusionary beliefs and inaction.

Then we have the audacity to be frustrated by the very condition we support.

It appears to me that our identity has become so caught up in a victimized role that we relinquish any hope of change ever occurring.

"This is just me...so I'm going to accept it... and complain about it"

Our dilemma is very scary:

-We say we want the truth, however, kill the messenger.

-We want change, but don't want to change.

-We bitch and complain and do nothing about that which we bitch and complain about.

I hate to sound cynical, but I'm afraid we've reached a point where "my" feeling are more important than your "facts".
And if you disagree with someones feelings, get ready, there's a huge price to pay.

(See Plato's Allegory of the Cave)

Napoleon Hill said, "You are searching for the magic key that will unlock the door to the source of power; and yet you have the key in your own hands, and you may use it the moment you learn to control your thoughts."

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're aware that we have the key in our hand... and I'm afraid this is the door we've chosen.

It's a lot easier to be a victim than it is to be responsible.


We would rather be ruined than changed;
We would rather die in our dread
Than climb the cross of the moment
And let our illusions die.
~W.H. Auden