Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's all perspective

Yes sir…I’ll see you Friday at 10:00 for your consultation!

I always look forward to doing nutritional consultations. It gives me the opportunity to inform people about the many misconceptions within the health and fitness industry. Occasionally during these moments, I’m reminded of the battle fitness experts are up against.

It’s interesting how perceptions dictate our attitude. Example…I think eating healthy is the most important thing I can do for my physical and mental health. Therefore I look forward to eating nutritious food that nourish my body and feeds my mind.

But for others…eating foods high in salt, sugar, and saturated fat are given high esteem. Eating healthy for these people is perceived as bland, restrictive, very boring, and simply not living life. These people see little benefit in eating healthy. (Of course they all can tell you about the person they knew who ate healthy their whole life and died young)

Back to my consult:
(This is a true story…Mr. Neck and I have known each other outside the gym… I have changed the name to protect the guilty)

Kelly:  Hello Mr. Neck, How are you doing?  Tell me your goals?

Mr. Neck:  Well…my doctor tells me I need to lose weight.

Kelly:  Did your doctor recommend you lose weight because of health reasons? (I already knew the answer…Mr. Neck was breathing hard just from walking in the door)

Mr. Neck:  Well…the Doc said I have high blood pressure, I’m type 2 diabetic, my cholesterol is high, and I have sleep apnea.

Kelly:  Ok. The first thing we need to discuss is your nutrition. Could you tell me what a typical breakfast looks like for you?

Mr. Neck:  Well…I have 4 eggs cooked in butter…hash browns…3 biscuits...buttered…2 cups of coffee with whole milk and 6 cubes of sugar. My family basically has the same thing…my kids may have a couple extra twinkes or ding dongs. (I didn’t know they still made ding dongs)

Kelly:  I definitely see some things we can work on.

Mr. Neck:  What do you do for breakfast?

Kelly:  I would never recommend someone do what I do. I have been eating the same meal for breakfast for 20 years. Most of our clients like variety and that’s what we are going to discuss for you today.

Mr. Neck:  Well what do you eat?

Kelly:  I have ½ cup of Grits…1 small box of raisins…and protein powder.

Mr. Neck:  What does your family eat for breakfast?

Kelly:  Well…pretty much the same. They vary theirs a little more with whole wheat tortillas and egg whites, or many of the whole wheat type cereals with skim milk.

Mr. Neck:  (Bewildered tone) Well…I can’t believe your kids eat that s___!

Kelly:  (I replied) It’s just as hard for me to believe your kids the s___ you mentioned.

Mr. Neck and I continued on with the consultation but the mood was never the same. Mr. Neck trained for one year and never changed his diet. He simply could not change the eating habits that created his health problems. Unfortunately his family has followed his lead.

I guess when it comes to food - it’s all a matter of perspective.


7 comments:

JTrantham said...

Kelly, you should combine all these posts into a book!

Jonathan

blah uh blah said...

more specifics on a persons goal would be nice.
also do u think what they are putting in food now days has anything to do with it . also, another factor is persons body type or metabolism.
i grew up with a family that ate basically everything cooked in lard and top it off with peanut butter and syrup[some people may not know what that is]. still cant gain any weight and has so far lived long lives. can we assume that genetics has some play in this.
I'm not trying to argue Ur point , i agree... each person is different and must b treated as such.
mr. likes to argue

Anonymous said...

Mr. Neck? Oh how I hope you're going to move down the body for each post... We get Mr Pec next week, right...then Mr Abs...

Sorry, couldn't resist. But good post and I agree. It's about deciding what's most important to you and doing what you need to do to achieve it. For some people eating their favorite food is simply more important than being fit.

Kelly Hitchcock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Hitchcock said...

Thats my plan Jonathan!

Kelly Hitchcock said...

Melissa...I bet you cant wait to see how Im working this body part blog :)(my next story is about a man who doesnt want you to change a thing) You know what im talking about!
And yes...people enjoy the dopamine rush from food more than the dopamine rush of being fit. I hope that works well for them.

Kelly Hitchcock said...

blah uh blah...This Blog is short stories based on my experiences. Mr. Necks specific goals would have added nothing to the topic of perspective.

~I understand the problem of food additives, but overconsumption is still the main issue we face.

~Body type has nothing to do with morbid obesity.

~ Yes...we did use to eat like that...but we also burned what we ate. Our bodies havent changed...the enviroment has.

Thanks for your response.