Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dieting and Quantum Physics


 "Man’s mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dinmentions"                   
                                                                                              ~Oliver Wendell Holmes  

 You’re probably asking…What the heck?
Dieting and Quantum Physics?

Well you’re lucky that I’m not going to make you sit through a long boring article that I, nor you, can explain or understand.

A couple of months ago I watched an introductory lecture on quantum mechanics by Richard P. Feynman….
“The Strange Theory of Light and Matter (Feynman 1985)”

While watching, I couldn’t help but notice a comment from the video that reminded me of the difficulties I have explaining nutrition to people who have been misled by their hopes, dreams, diet counselors, and the media.
(This is Feynman’s quote with my modifications. I have highlighted the words that I have changed that will allow you to see the bewildering predicament of explaining proper nutrition)

Feynman… (With my input)

“There are many reasons why you might not understand [an explanation of the science of nutrition] ... Finally, there is this possibility: after I tell you something, you just can't believe it. You can't accept it. You don't like it. A little screen comes down and you don't listen anymore. I'm going to describe to you how Nutrition is - and if you don't like it, that's going to get in the way of your understanding it. It's a problem that [Trainers] have learned to deal with: They've learned to realize that whether they like nutritional facts or they don't like nutritional facts is not the essential question. Rather, it is whether or not the facts give predictions that agree with the results. It is not a question of whether a nutritional plan is philosophically delightful, or easy to understand, or perfectly reasonable from the point of view of common sense. [A nutritional plan] describes caloric needs for ones goals. The amount may seem absurd from the point of view of common sense. However, it will agree fully with experiment. So I hope you can accept Nutrition as she is - absurd.

I'm going to have fun telling you about this absurdity, because I find it delightful. Please don't turn yourself off because you can't believe Nutrition is so strange. Just hear me all out, and I hope you'll be as delighted as I am when we're through. "


 Many view the idea of scientific information (nutrition) as highly unlikely because they can’t understand it. This is a troubling aspect that permeates throughout our society from health care to nutrition.
We all came into this world without opinions or judgments or values or viewpoints…and now your head is spinning with them. They help you make your way through the world. They guide you to failure and success, ignorance and understanding, good and bad, paralysis and empowerment. Some of your beliefs truly inform you, and some blind you. Some are true… and some are not. But the question is which ones are which?

This kind of question…a question about the quality of your beliefs and the quality of your understanding, is the fundamental component to increasing success in your life, and your health.

 “We must pursue knowledge without any interference of our emotions. Only then will true knowledge manifest itself in reality”.

                                                          What the bleep do we know?





  








2 comments:

Scholar said...

While I agree with the general sentiment (our emotions/desires hold no sway on the facts), I feel the statement "[A nutritional plan] describes caloric needs for ones goals" is a bit oversimplified. As I'm sure you know, there's more to nutrition than calories.

I've only started reading your blog today, so apologies if this is a bit premature

Kelly Hitchcock said...

Sorry, Im just seeing this. Yes, this is very oversimpified. My main point is that people let their emotions interfere with their decisions on diets. The quotes point is that you may not understand it...you may not like it...It might not make you feel good...but thats not the point. The point is science meets the test with proof that is indifferent to feelings. Nutrition is a science. The sooner we understand this, the quicker you'll be on your way to a new body. Thanks for your response.