Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Paradox of Truth


“People don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed” ~ Nietzsche

I am, by nature, a very caring, compassionate person, so I really hate to kick dirt on the flame of hope with science. But what I really care the most about is what’s actually true, even more than what I hope is true… and this is the dilemma I find myself in.
I am occasionally accused of being arrogant, sarcastic, cynical, jealous…. or the popular modern term, “hater”.

I have been told to be quiet… don’t say anything… you’re going to look like a trouble maker… let it go… and people aren’t going to like you.

My question is why?
Why should I be quiet…why should anyone be quite?

The typical response is usually…. “Because people will be offended”
Ricky Gervas said it best… “Just because you’re offended, doesn’t mean you’re right.”

I have to admit I completely agree.
I am a huge proponent of speaking your mind. I believe there should be absolutely no topic off limits to discuss.

The only way we evolve and enhance humanity is by strongly talking about what we believe and why we believe it.
If you disagree… then I think we should talk about why you disagree.

We don’t have to insult each other… we don’t have to agree with each other…but through critical reflection and rational dialogue we begin to move from a place of wishful thinking, into the arena of rational understanding.
I believe the only way to do this is by employing reason…the kind of reason that manifests in reality….the kind of reality that manifests from science.

Many people have a flawed belief that science strips life of meaning and purpose…it’s quite the contrary. Science cleans up our lives by providing a clear cognitive path to a much richer understanding of the world we live in.
I look at science as a temporal cleansing that enriches our reality, relationships, families, friends, communities, and how we treat one another.

All of us are trying to make sense of the world through a combination of our biology and our environment. This unique human combination tends to form biases based on experiences and emotions, which in turn can create beliefs that are based on hopes rather than facts.
Don’t get me wrong…I want to believe…but I also want to know. So if any proposition is made pertaining to Diets, Religion, Politics, Bigfoot, or Space Aliens…….ask questions.

The truth is out there…it may be hard to find… it may conflict with cherished beliefs…it may make you mad…but it is always better to face reality than to comfort ourselves with delusions.
Science may make you uncomfortable, but it is the best method for seeking the truth.

 
“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool” ~Richard P. Feynman

 

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A great example from my own life is that at about the age of 14-15 I began to have questions about the religious beliefs I was taught all my life. I really wanted to believe, but I couldn't get it all to add up and make sense.I tried very hard to rationalize the illogical or just go with the standard response of the believer, "That's where faith comes in." So, was I to understand that "faith" means to discard logic and rational thinking and believe the unbelievable and illogical things I was taught because they simply HAD to be the truth.

Well, I was never able to discard logic and reason. I still continue to seek truth in all areas and more importantly, I have become comfortable with the fact that I don't have all the answers, but am not willing to accept an answer that cannot withstand close scrutiny and scientific examination just for the sake of having an answer.

I also realize that for many people, the desire for their beliefs to be the truth trumps the desire for those beliefs to meet the requirements listed above. And the idea that their lifelong beliefs might not be the truth is far too scary to contemplate. In fact, it would literally shatter their world as they know it.

I believe we must fearlessly seek truth, and if that truth shatters our beliefs, then so be it.

Pierced Heart Art said...

Some of the most profound friendships I've had are with people who are open minded and we can share anything, regardless of the topic. There is no arguing, no raised voices even in the midst of disagreement. I have a strong belief in God and yet even in that I am on a journey to learn more about God and myself. I have friends who believe in God, I have those who do not and I have those who are on a journey as I am. Each is a valuable human being and important in my life. Ask me why I believe in God and I will mention faith. Can I explain it, well, not entirely and don't feel I need to. It is not my job to persuade you I'm right, that is not the purpose of sharing my faith, or anything else for that matter, because guess what, I don't have all the answers. I would rather talk to someone who believes completely different than me but who does it in a calm manner than one who argues and is obnoxious. I do believe that we should seek truth, the question becomes, who defines what "truth" is.