Monday, January 13, 2014

Step Two... Nutrition


“You did what you knew how to do, but when you knew better, you did better”

                                                                                          ~ Maya Angelou

“The reason you don't change for long is because you have a set of beliefs that support the person you are, not the person you want to be”

 Nutrition is a fascinating and controversial subject.
I mean think about it…There are people who genuinely want to know how food affects their body because they love food and care about their health… and… there are people who seek out “special plans” to confirm information based on their desired food/diet of choice. (I.e. such as people who prefer meat usually seek out high protein diets)  

This conundrum of people wanting to know, versus people seeking affirmation, creates a serious dilemma within the health industry.
(Do we give them the science? Or do we give them what they want?)

How is one to know the truth about nutrition when magazine advertisements, self-proclaim fitness gurus, and television commercials bombard us with diet programs all claiming to be the “best” method to incinerate fat with minimal effort?
To complicate matters, these “health” books and commercials are followed by ads of tempting foods… pizza, burgers, chips, sweet drinks, and alcoholic beverages that increase our temptations.

So here we are…..
Several times a day, you get hungry and you have to eat.  And if you are like most people, you wonder, “Is this food good for me? How much should I eat?”  Or you berate yourself, “I probably shouldn’t be eating this…I’ll never lose weight.”

Let me be totally honest with you… there is a correct way to eat and science has most of the answers.  
Science can tell us the best way to choose foods, plan our meals, and design our diet wisely to enhance our health and improve our performance. I will be guiding you through the next couple of blogs to explain the science of nutrition.

I’m going to take on the daunting task of making the complex subject of nutrition as simple as possible. As I said in my first blog…the first step in change is acknowledgement (you)…the second step is increasing knowledge (diet and exercise).   
As I begin, I will mainly focus on the three macronutrients…Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat. I will explain what each of these 3 macronutrients provide for our bodies…I will also explain the many misconceptions and lies told to us by the fitness industry.

Remember, I have nothing to gain from this…no money…no agenda…just the truth.    

                              “That which can be destroyed by the truth should be”
                                                                                           ~  P.C. Hodgell

No comments: